President signs amended anti-defamation law
Statement of the Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland
1. The President of the Republic of Poland, Mr Andrzej Duda, having obtained essential legal opinions, signed into law the Act of the National Institute of Remembrance in its amended version, as it has been adopted by the Parliament.
2. The President has decided to sign the law in the shortest possible time, acting at the personal request of the Prime Minister, made in the name of the parliamentary majority.
3. The President consistently maintains that it is incumbent on all Polish politicians and public institutions to struggle for Polish people’s and Poland’s good name and honour, and to show solicitude to uphold them.
4. In the request for scrutiny, filed with the Constitutional Tribunal on February 14, 2018, the President highlighted the problematic nature of the penal provisions enshrined in the previous wording of the Act on the Institute of National Remembrance.
5. The Government and the parliamentary majority have decided not to await the Tribunal’s ruling on that matter. Under such circumstances, the President has deemed it appropriate to support government’s actions.
Chief of the Cabinet of the President Krzysztof Szczerski