The Coat of Arms
Article 2 specifies that the Polish coat of arms shall consist of an image of an eagle wearing a golden crown, with its wings outstretched, its head turned to its right and its beak and talons golden, in a red field.
The coat of arms containing an eagle as the symbol of the ruling dynasty appeared for the first time in the 1st half of the 13th century and, during the reign of Ladislaus the Short, it became the official coat of arms of the country.
After Poland regained its independence in 1919, the Sejm accepted the White Eagle as the national coat of arms. A new image of the eagle was introduced by a resolution of the President of Poland in 1927 – based on the design of Professor Z. Kamiński and modelled after the coat of arms of Stephen Bathory's times which was almost identical to the coat of arms currently used. After 1945, the eagle in the coat of arms was similar to the image used before the war but was depicted without a crown (in agreement with a decree of 1955). Since 1990, the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Poland has been a crowned white eagle.